This year we're kind of starting a new tradition of (aggressively) tackling most of our Christmas shopping in November. I've always been more of a last minute guy when it comes to Christmas shopping . . . but this year I'm strangely all about getting it done early.
Being a keener and getting Christmas prep taken care of, in November, kind of makes it like December. Kind of like stretching December back a bit so it overshadows the Novemberishness.
Novemberishness notwithstanding (I'm trying not to hold a grudge), this November has had some interesting musical visitors making their way through Ottawa. Two Neils and a Bob: Neil Young, Neil Diamond, and Bob Dylan. It's big fluke I guess - but it makes for a noteworthy November, music wise.
I don't know much about Neil Diamond. "Sweet Caroline" was ingrained in my brain one summer when I worked a job where the radio was set to an oldies station. That meant that I heard it . . . everyday. Oh and Urge Overkill covered one of his songs on the Pulp Fiction soundtrack. That's about all I got.
Dylan is the legend, but I'm most familiar with Neil Young's music (yeah - Neil's legendary too). But Neil Young and Bob Dylan will forever be linked in my mind by an article in a Rolling Stone album guide: "Like everything else, Dylan sucked in the 80's. He locked into a game of chicken with Neil Young, battling to see who could release more bad albums before the decade was out. (Dylan won, eight to seven.)" (Feel free to contest that if you like.)
Some of my fondest memories are from the 80's - but music wise, culture wise . . . the 80's were kind of like a decade long November. Bleak. Even seasoned artists like Bob Dylan and Neil Young floundered around and couldn't get their mojo going.
Hair bands. Glam rock. Can you think of many albums that have and will continue to stand the test of time from the 80's?
Makes me appreciate The Joshua Tree that much more . . . it's a good album, but when you stand it up against its contemporaries . . . it came from out of nowhere and it's incredible. That desert they're standing in? The 80's.
But back to the battle for November: who wins in your books? A Neil or a Bob?
Worship Curator
10 years ago
2 comments:
Hum honey....I've always done the Christmas shopping in November...its just you that does it like Dec 23rd. Commom.
You're right Kris - I'm just jumping all over your bandwagon and claiming it as my own (although I did confess my last minute tendencies) (and you're not going to vote for a Neil or a Bob?).
For argument sake I'm going to go with Neil Young because he can do it all: blaze with his Les Paul, and then get all mello and acoustic. And do both very well.
Post a Comment